Saturday, August 30, 2008
I love the magazine Parenting, it has so many great articles that (if you actually do it) can make a parents life a little easier. When kids come along life gets a little (a lot) crazier.
Julius and I used to go surfing all the time. We would get home from work, stick our boards on the car and go. We would get to the beach take our boards and surf for hours then go home. Now we have to get toys, bathing suits, snacks, tent, umbrella, lots of towels, extra snacks, sippy cups, diaper bag (and make sure it actually has diapers in it) clothes to put on after we shower them off, usually someone screams and pitches a fit before we go, and....well, you get the picture. And that is before we even get to the beach! But we have gotten it down to a science and enjoy going, but there are some things we can do to make our lives easier.
1. SAY "NO". Do you really have to volunteer for everything. People already like you, don't make yourself crazier that you already are! "Yes" is simpler to say, but is it really?
Even simple things like letting your daughter/son choose from their entire closet full of clothes, say NO and only let them choose between two of them. Or alternate foods at dinner time.....say NO and if they don't eat what you've given them....too bad. I have a friend who makes different meals for each of her children (and husband)......I don't think so!
2. ASK FOR HELP. Pretty simple, but so hard. I have kind of forced a friendship at church (Hi Nicole)...I know, I'm pushy what can I say, but I wanted to have someone close that I can go to for help and that I can help as well (it goes both ways, so if you ask for help be ready to give it). We are there if someone needs to drop off kids to go somewhere or just talk. It's kinda nice. Asking for help takes you out of your comfort zone a little, but it is so worth it in the long run.
3. PLAN AHEAD. My ward starts at 8am (I know!). We used to get up and force everything....baths, breakfast, clothes, hair etc. I usually went to church without the spirit, with crying babies and usually missing something from the diaper bag. Now I get everything ready the night before. Church really is so much more pleasant...I am sooooo much more pleasant! My children like me so much better and I don't have feel guilty anymore. Just a little planning is all is takes.
4. LET YOURSELF OFF THE HOOK. Don't compare yourself to all of your friends and try to keep up with whatever they are doing. The grass always seems greener on the other side! Don't be so hard on yourself when your kids are screaming in the store and you have to drag them out kicking and screaming or when you spend all of church out in the hall because you kid is being bad. It's okay, we all have to go through it! You're a good parent....I promise!
5. DO ONE THING AT ONCE. How many of us drive, shop, play with our kids, talk to our friends while thinking of all the hundreds of things we have to do for church, school, work, kids, house, etc. STOP! Just do whatever it is your doing, all the other stuff will be there later. I find writing stuff down helps me to get it out of my head, then I don't have to think about it again until I have to do it. Be in the moment. If you are playing with your kids, just enjoy playing with them. I am not a great mutitasker, so this one is really good for me. I think multitasking is bad for your health!
Taken from the May 2008 Parenting magazine, "I'll try anything!" pg 103-106 (with my added 2 cents!)
What have you done to make your life easier? I want to know!!!!
Friday, August 29, 2008
Yes, my children do have toys, but I don't really go out and buy them, they come to me, but even if I did spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on my kids, what do they end up playing with???????.............the crap in your cupboards! Ellie loves the plastic container cabinet. The second she pulls them out she will leave and the second I put them back in she's back to do it again! It totally drives me insane, but then it keeps her quiet for a few minutes....I'm a total sucker for a few minutes of quiet!
Thursday, August 14, 2008
I can't believe I'm doing this, but I have to...Dark Knight was an awesome movie. I actually went on a date with my hubby (first time in a long time) and he wasn't into watching The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, so I gave in a saw Dark Knight. Holy Moly, I was chewing a piece of gum and didn't realize that I was chomping down on it so hard until the end of the movie....My jaw hurts!! Heath Ledger (God rest his poor troubled soul) who was amazing, I sat at the edge of my seat the entire movie waiting for what he would do next.
Go see it, you'll be glad you did!
Go see it, you'll be glad you did!
Sunday, August 10, 2008
The girls love to look out the window and see what's going on in the neighborhood. They both get their little toes up on the baseboard and hang on for dear life on the window ledge, it's so cute! They know the sound of our truck and know that daddy or mommy is coming home. They also look out and wave when the neighbors are coming and going.