Here are just a few things that I'm doing:
- Reusable bags from the grocery store. If I forget them I will carry the stuff out without the bag, I usually get stopped and have my receipt checked because they think I'm stealing....
- Hanging my clothes out in the line to dry. I love this one and am totally obsessed with doing it! We have cut our gas bill in half by doing this....they smell really good, too.
- Our water heater is turned down almost to the lowest temp....our visitors don't really care for this, but come on we live in Hawaii.
- We started a garden. The picture you see is the start of it, tomatoes, watermelon, and cucumbers.
- Being efficient while washing dishes. I always thought my mom was so weird doing this, but I have totally turned into her! While I am rinsing the dishes I have the other one ready and while I'm putting the one I just rinsed in the drainer, I am rinsing the other on off.....it is really efficient, not only do I save water, but I get my dishes done really fast.
- I shop at the thrift stores or on craigslist, I don't know why more people don't do this. There is some really great stuff out there and for really cheap.
- I turn off my oven for the last few minutes of cooking. There is enough heat in there to finish the job.
- All of my electrical things that don't need electricity all the time (i.e. refridge) are connected to surge protectors and I turn them off whenever not in use.
- RECYCLE!! We don't have a program in our area for newspapers, cardboard, or the plastic items with 1 or 2 on the bottom, but my friend's area does. So I save up my stuff and take it to her place and add it to her stuff.